Donald E. Griggs III
Don is a seasoned mechanical engineer with expertise increasing business profitability, driving process improvement and safety improvements, and enhancing customer satisfaction through practiced and proven skills. His approach includes: Six Sigma methodology, Lean Manufacturing processes, and Continuous Improvement activities. His core competencies lie in technical process capabilities and delivering cost reductions.
Proven record of accomplishment developing strategic process enhancements resulting in significant savings and safety improvements across complex manufacturing environments. Extensive quality assurance, subject matter expertise, and communication skills combine with team leadership capabilities to drive regular improvements to business and personal objectives. Strengths and areas of core competencies include: Process Development & Improvements, Team Leadership & Training, Cost Analysis & Reduction, Strategic Planning & Implementation, Manufacturing Processes & Operations, Project Management & Risk Mitigation, Regulatory Compliance & Safety Measures, Crisis Management & Business Turnaround
Representative Work Experience
Spearhead all process improvements for products and processes across two business plants. Interface with customers to determine potential project upgrades, improvements, and cost reductions. Maintain consistently on-time project delivery to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Carried out strategic planning for safety, quality, delivery, and cost improvements using Hoshin methods for ductile iron foundry and CPVC components facility.
- Enhance operational safety measures through the implementation of culture changes and ergonomic risk reduction.
- Oversee foundry operational improvements related to dip paint, injection and extrusion molding, and assembly saving and average of $750 K annually.
Directed over 60 employees across three shifts in executing day to day foundry processes for business with $27M per year COGS, including induction melt, shell/no bake core creation, and green sand Disa/no bake molding with manual and robotic grinding.
- Devised and launched successful first-shift crew in meeting all production demands for summer/fall season of 2015.
- Co-facilitated 5S events for seven areas and departments within foundry.
- Achieved production and quality goals for Fiscal Year 2015.
Drove integration and adoption of Six Sigma culture and process improvements through Lean Manufacturing classes, guided projects, and other coaching functions for managers and other employees. Managed manufacturing projects, facilitated safety culture teams, and created detailed equipment requirements packages and requests.
- Achieved project savings of over $5M by leading Op Ex initiatives, ultimately driving scrap from 13% to 2%.
- Awarded two patents for assembly methods related to coupling gripping teeth and light weight fittings.
- Certified Black Belt and recognized for leading and fulfilling exceptional company projects.
- Led relocation of 70K sq. ft. Texas plant facility and all related operations.
Master Black Belt / Manufacturing Engineering
Assisted the implementation of newly-launched Six Sigma program across two Tyco plants. Mentored Process Excellence Leader, green belts, and managers in project assessment and prioritization.
- Initiated three significant company projects and provided course-correction for off-track plans.
- Saved over $175K in productivity and manufacturing losses by driving targeted team improvements.
Product Support Engineering
Oversaw new part introductions, process and quality improvements, and increased capacity planning for $50M business component responsible for delivering 1.2M annual compressor airfoil parts. Introduced eight major product and processes year to date.
- Directed team responsible for saving over $300K in manufacturing and productivity losses.
Technical Process Engineering
Led team of eight engineers in delivering cost reductions, quality enhancements, and capacity reallocation for $40M business component responsible for delivering 500K annual compressor airfoil parts. Introduced six major product and processes year to date.
- Secured generation of 6.1% year of year productivity and reduction of manufacturing losses by 20%.
Client and Company Listing
Passport Food Group
Kicking Horse Coffee
Tyco Fire Protection Products Madison, AL
Tyco Fire Protection Products Aniston, AL
Xavier University – MBA
Ohio University – B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
Hocking Technical College - Associate of Science, Heat Processing, Metallurgy, & Furnace Design
Tyco Black Belt Certified | General Electric Black Belt Certified